Saturday, April 29, 2017

Week Ending 30 April 2017

This week was supposed to be all about trampoline training with two sessions every day, including 7:30am starts. However, Miss 16's coach ended up taking a couple of days off in order to move house. So instead of being all about trampoline the week was only mostly about trampoline.

The time off was very welcome since, as fate would have it, this turned out to be publishing deadline week in our birding world. As a result Miss 16 had a newsletter to publish,  an article to write for one magazine and a column to write for another. When she wasn't at the gym she was chained to the computer. If I had to worry about counting hours for credit we'd have PE and language arts nailed this week!

Editing copy for the newsletter.

Wednesday was a crazy day for me. I got Miss 16 to the gym by 7:30, was home for 20 minutes then had to drive Dh to the out of town university. Headed back in to town, parked at the gym and squeezed in a quick walk in before Miss 16's first session finished. Dropped her home then drove back to the out of town university to collect Dh.  Home for 20 minutes then it was time to return Miss 16 to the gym.On the way there I got a call from Mr 19 to say the plumber was early and would be arriving soon.  He pulled up just before me and while he got on with replacing our hot water cylinder I managed to  bake bread rolls for dinner. Plans to make some important phone calls got put on hold though. Replacing a hot water cylinder turns out to be a noisy business. After a couple of hours it was time to collect Miss 16 from the gym. Thirty minutes after we got home it was time to take Dh back to the out of town university since his class had a two hour test that evening. I couldn't facing making an extra round trip so I tossed a book into the car and did some reading while I waited for him. I'm just glad all our days aren't so crazy. Just to add to the fun the electrician wasn't able to come when we wanted, meaning we had 24 hours without hot water.

There were only two other events of note this week. Our monthly birding meeting, my first in charge, thankfully ran smoothly. There was an interesting talk from a guy who did his PhD in Peru. Looking at the size of the spiders there I don't think Miss 16 will be too keen on doing field work in that part of the world. We had Miss 22's boyfriend around for dinner one evening. We've all met him in passing before, but this was the first proper meeting. Yet another reminder of the new parenting stage I'm increasingly finding myself in. 

A trip to a cafe for a belated Easter shake was a fun way to mark the end of the holiday training programme.

I'm somewhat surprised to have completed thirteen books this month. I thought tackling Nicholas Nickleby would have slowed me down a little. The fact that there was no formal homeschooling for two weeks, plus the fact that I picked a couple of short, quick reads after Dickens probably compensated. Among my favourite reads were The Wish Child, A Hundred Summers and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, plus Nicholas Nickleby of course. I'm exactly half way through the Back to the Classics Challenge, and have just two more books to read before I complete Modern Mrs Darcy's twin challenges. What I will have to do is put some planning time into researching books that fit the remaining 17 categories of the Pop Sugar challenge. I've penciled in some titles, but I've got no idea for other categories.

1 comment:

  1. It seems like deadlines often fall on weeks that are already busy. What a crazy Wednesday you had!
    I love hearing about the books you are reading. I've not read any of the ones you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete