Saturday, November 11, 2017

Week Ending 12 November 2017

Another very quiet week, partly due to sickness. Mr 19 had been quite sick for most of last week - not ideal since he was supposed to be studying for his university exams this week. Anyway I came down with what seems like a mild dose of what he had early in the week and now both Miss 16 and Miss 22 seem to have succumbed as well. Hopefully they also have mild cases.

In between my brush with sickness and Miss 16's we did manage a couple of things of note. The highlight of the week was undoubtedly banding. We tried out a new site this time and were fairly busy in the first hour before things quietened down. Through observing birds in the area we got some ideas for how to set the nets next time. Hopefully we'll get closer to our goal of 10 birds per hour.

Miss 16 with a Welcome Swallow. It didn't need banding since it was banded last week. It was the first recapture of the project.

Measuring the Welcome Swallow's wing length. It was quite different from when it was captured last week so either the bander  made a mistake then (Miss 16 double checked her measurements given the disparity) or the bird has grown a lot!


Weighing the Welcome Swallow. It looks undignified but it isn't there for long and being head down stops  the bird struggling - and means it is less likely to escape. It wasn't weighed last time so it was good to get the weight now.

Banding a Goldfinch. This one is a male. We caught a female at exactly the same time so assume they are a pair.

Miss 16 and I also took a short road trip. A reading challenge I'm doing this year requires me to read a book that I got on a trip. None of my travels this year have involved buying a book and I was thinking of stretching things a bit by just making a trip to the library. Then I remembered a second hand book barn less than an hour away. So Miss 16 and I took a drive. She came away with a pile of Agatha Christie mysteries while I purchased Shakespeare's A Winter's Tale, since it's being performed here early next year and it's one I haven't yet read.

It doesn't look much from the outside but it is packed with reading treasures.

Linking to the Weekly Wrap-Up and Homeschool Highlights

4 comments:

  1. Oh! A book barn? I cannot think of a better place to go . . . my heart is actually beating faster at the thought!

    And 10 birds per hour sounds like a lot!!!! I'm not a birder, but reading about your girl makes me imagine I'm one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear -- I hope you are all fully recovered as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book barn looks like an adventure! Sorry you had to deal with sickness at your house this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bird study is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete